Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) as a Degreaser?!

As you all found out in my last post, I LOVE to clean!  Over the past 12 years I have graduated from the very strong and potentially harmful cleaning solutions to about 90% all natural and safe products.   However, I have found this small little miracle...Isopropyl Alcohol.  It is not a natural cleaner, but I have to share with you some of its wonderful uses.

I have tested and tried out many cleaning solutions and ideas to get that sticky, tacky, yellowish brown grease out of my kitchen.  I am sure you all know what I am talking about.  That grease can be found on the cabinets, light fixtures, and under the microwave that is over the stove.  And finally I found it, Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol)!  As I stated before this is not a "natural" product, but it works and the unpleasant fumes that it gives off are short lived and gone as soon as the area is dry.

Try on a small test area before you start!!!

I take the rubbing alcohol and put on a cotton ball to test the area first.  Once I determine the area is safe, I dampen a rag with the alcohol and wipe the surface.  Depending on the amount of grease build up, it may take cleaning it twice to remove all grease.


I have successfully used Isopropyl Alcohol on my waffle maker, kitchen cabinets above the stove, underneath of the microwave, light fixture, and toaster oven. 

buzzle.com
It dries and leaves no vapors but just as an extra precaution I will rinse with water any areas that will come in contact with a direct flame or excessive heat.

Rubbing alcohol is a highly flammable compound that must not be used or combined with flames, lighters, gasses and extreme temperatures.
Rubbing Alcohol Facts | eHow.com

While in my search to find this wonderful degreaser I also learned that Isopropyl Alcohol can be used for many other things.  Such as: window cleaner, permanent marker remover, stain remover on laundry, mold remover (especially in showers), and it can melt frost off of windows.  So if you come across a stubborn stain or that grim in the kitchen look no further than your own cabinet.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment