Friday, October 11, 2013

Grapes for Days....

Two weeks ago we had APPLE overload at our house with apples, apple chips and apple cider donuts. 

This week I suppose our theme is "Grapes for Days".  Last weekend we went grape picking again.  We went with the intention of getting 3 pounds so I could make jelly.  Well, we were having so much fun picking the grapes that when we got back to the barn we had about 10 pounds of grapes!!!!  My mother-in-law graciously took a pound off my hands, but I still had 9 to work with. 



SO...we have jelly to last us over a year, grape syrup for those delicious waffles the hubby is making tomorrow, and grape juice.

I am most excited about the jelly.  Last year when I made it the kids could not get enough.  It is FUN to make and oh so good!!!  My mother-in-law shared a really easy recipe that does not require the canning process.  This works for me since we go through this jelly at an alarming rate. 

If you have the opportunity and the grapes, you should seriously try this.  It will be impossible to buy store bought jelly again.

Below is the recipe, this is for 1.5lbs of grapes.  I was originally going to double this, but since I had slightly more than 3lbs, I adjusted the amounts accordingly.

Grape Freezer Jelly
 
Ingredients
  • 2 cups  prepared juice (buy about 1-1/2 lb. fully ripe Concord grapes)
  • 2/3 cup  plus 2 Tbsp. water, divided
  • 4 cups  sugar, measured into separate bowl
  • 1 pouch  CERTO Fruit Pectin
Directions

  1. RINSE clean plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.
  2. STEM and crush grapes thoroughly, 1 layer at a time. Place in large saucepan; add 2/3 cup water. Bring to boil; cover. Simmer on low heat 15 min., stirring occasionally. Place 3 layers of damp cheesecloth or jelly bag in large bowl. Pour prepared fruit into cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth closed; hang and let drip into bowl until dripping stops. Press gently. Measure exactly 2 cups juice into large bowl. Stir in sugar. Let stand 10 min., stirring occasionally.           
  3. MIX remaining 2 Tbsp. water and the pectin in small bowl. Add to juice mixture; stir 3 min. or until sugar is dissolved and no longer grainy. (A few sugar crystals may remain.)           
  4. FILL all containers immediately to within 1/2 inch of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Jelly is now ready to use. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 1 year. Thaw in refrigerator before using.     
 

I used the 1 cup Ziploc containers and I ended up having 14 of them.  The only reason I stopped is because I ran out of containers.  That is how I ended up with the syrup and juice:)

Grape Syrup

Place 2 cups of  juice and 1 1/2 cups of sugar into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the juice has begun to thicken. Remove the syrup from the heat and then place into a glass jar, and then in the fridge to cool. Can be stored in the fridge in a tightly sealed glass jar for up to two weeks.
 
 
Grape Juice


What will you put your jelly on?!?!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment