For the past 7 years I have hosted Mother's Day Brunch for my and my husbands family. Some years more of the family can make it than others, but the food and the company is always great! This year is no exception...it will be a packed house and we cannot wait. I thought that I would share with you this years menu.
First, we start out with the beverages...
coffee, tea, mimosa's, and my mom's famous bloody Mary's
Then we move onto the FOOD...
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 4 T. melted butter
- 2 large egg
- 2 T. sugar
- 2 cup flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease an 13 x 9 baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, beat together milk, butter and egg.
- Add sugar, then gradually beat the flour in. Carefully stir in the baking powder and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Big Red Kitchen pancakesquares
Sausage and Pepper Frittata
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Breakfast sausage, crumbled or diced
- 1 red bell pepper, 1/4-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 12 eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup water
- Keep the oven at 350 degrees F.
- Coat a nonstick 10-inch saute pan with olive oil. Add the sausage and brown. Add the peppers and saute until they are soft.
- In a bowl, add the Parmigiano to the beaten eggs and season lightly with salt. Using a heat-proof rubber spatula, stir the eggs into the pan with the sausage and peppers. Stir the eggs to evenly distribute the sausage and peppers throughout the eggs. Once the eggs set on the bottom and around the sides of the pan, place the pan in the preheated oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through. Remove from the pan. Cut into wedges and serve hot or a room temperature.
Serves 4, but we will cut the pieces into smaller portions and possibly double the recipe.
Food Network sausageandpepperfrittata
Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
(my mom is making this dish, so I do not need room in my oven for this)
- 1 (2 pound) package frozen hash browns
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup margarine or even butter works very well also
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups grated Colby cheese (personal note--I prefer sharp cheddar)
- Place potatoes in a greased 9x13 inch pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in the microwave.
- In a bowl, add minced onions, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and melted butter and mix together.
- Pour soup mixture over potatoes; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until all is completely warm, and the cheese begins to melt.
CopyKat Recipes crackerbarrelhashbrowncasserole
Seasonal Fresh Fruit Salad
Pick you favorite fruits or seasonal fruits then clean, chop, slice, and toss together in bowl.
Strawberry Spinach Salad w/Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1 10-oz. bag fresh baby spinach
- 1/2-1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and sliced (you can peel it first if you want)
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1 c. sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 recipe Lemon Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- 1/2 lb. grilled chicken breasts, sliced or diced (optional)
- Toss ingredients together and serve immediately.
Our Best Bites strawberryspinachsalad
- Tortilla- 3 large
- Garlic and herb Philadelphia cream cheese- 1 tub, 200gms (room temperature)
- Spring onions- 4, sliced
- Jalapeño pepper- 1, de seeded and roughly chopped (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper- to taste
- Baby spinach- 3 cups or more if you please
- Cured and cooked ham- 12 slices
- Cheddar cheese- 1/2 cup (optional)
- Cling film- to roll the tortilla
- Mix the softened cream cheese, spring onions, jalapeño and pepper powder together in a large bowl. If its too thick, add a wee bit of water and loosen it up. You can either add grated cheese at this stage or later.
- Clean the spinach leaves (chop if required), drain and transfer to a microwave safe bowl with just enough water clinging form the leaves. Cover and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes. Drain the water.
- Heat the tortilla's for about 6 to 7 seconds in the microwave.
- Spread the cream cheese mix generously on the tortilla, sprinkle a cup of spinach leaves and spread out four ham slices on to each and top with grated cheese. If you want, sprinkle some freshly ground pepper too.
- Roll it up tight, wrap with cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 to 3 hours or over night.
- Once ready, peel off the cling film, cut off the edges and slice the tortilla rolls into bite size pieces.These pinwheels are best had cold, but you could warm it up too, if you are not that big a fan of cold food.
Notes: You can basically choose from a whole array of filling like turkey slices, olives, salmon, prosciutto ham etc. You can use any soft cheese for the base or maybe even mayo or ranch.
Look Who's Cooking Too tortillapinwheels
Of course we left room for Dessert! My sister-in-law is bringing that dish. Be sure to look for it on my facebook page on Sunday.
Happy Mother's Day and Have a Great Weekend.