Please make sure to tell your friends and family about this fabulous blog and look for me on facebook and pinterest. Share, Like, and Pin away!!!
- Mediterranean Monday - We will mostly do Italian or Greek dishes but this day opens you up to try almost any dish.
- Tokyo Tuesday - Asian inspired dishes
- Wrap it Up Wednesday - Wraps, Sandwiches, Burgers, Salads, etc...
- Taco Thursday - Spanish inspired dishes
- Free for All Friday - This day is used for leftovers, dining out, or pot luck
- Slow Cooker/Simmer Saturday
- Seafood Sunday
***Saturday and Sunday are interchangeable depending on your families schedule that week.
As always, at the end of each recipe there will be a link to direct you to the site where I found these meals. You can print from the blog page or from the link that I provided.
- My daughter has a peanut allergy so we substitute and/or omit items that may be in a particular recipe, please do the same if you or anyone in your family has any allergies/dietary needs/personal preference (vegetarian).
- Some meals that I put on the menu will be my first time making them as well. So feedback is always appreciated
- If there is a meal that I know my kids will not eat I will make a "kid friendly" version of it for them, I will make note of this within the recipe.
- All families grocery budgets vary so please adjust ingredients or brands to fit the needs of your family.
- The majority of the meals are 30 minutes or less. Meals that do take longer will have steps to help you prepare ahead of time. We all have busy schedules!
Monday - Rigatoni w/Cheese & Italian Sausage
- 1/2 pound rigatoni
- 1/4 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce (homemade that you have frozen or store bought)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Mixed green salad with balsamic dressing
- Cook rigatoni in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Cook sausage in heavy large pot over medium-high heat until no longer pink, stirring frequently and breaking up with back of wooden spoon. Add garlic and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Drain off excess oil and return pot to medium-high heat. Stir in marinara sauce and crushed red pepper, then pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide pasta among four 1 1/4-cup soufflé dishes or custard cups. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan over. Place in broiler until cheese melts and begins to brown, watching closely to prevent burning, about 1 1/2 minutes. Sprinkle rigatoni with parsley, drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve with mixed greens salad.
Serves 4, Ready in 30 minutes
Tuesday - Crockpot Korean Short Rib Tacos
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 inches of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1 c. + 6 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3/4 c. rice vinegar (also called rice wine vinegar)
- 4 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 6 lbs. beef ribs (could be called short ribs or back ribs also)
- 6-8 Flour Tortillas, flash fried
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/2 of a large onion - very thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled then "sliced" into long thin strips with your peeler
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. or drizzle sesame oil
- 1 sqeeze lime juice (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, FINELY minced
- 1/4 c. toasted sesame seeds
Optional Rice Pilaf
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/3 c. onion, minced
- 1 c. brown rice
- 2 c. water
- 2-3 tbsp. soy sauce (to taste)
- lime juice (to taste)
For the Ribs
- Mix garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes.
- Place ribs in a greased crockpot and pour sauce over ribs. Turn crock pot on low heat. Cover with a lid and cook for 6-8 hours, moving the ribs around 2 or 3 times so that they all get a turn being immersed in the sauce.
- When the time is up and meat is fork tender, remove meat from pot, discard bones.
- Meanwhile, skim fat off the top of the sauce. Place sauce in a pan and simmer until thickened (about 25 mins.)
- Once meat is cool to touch, pull apart with your fingers or with 2 forks. Pour some sauce back into the meat and reheat (you can use your crockpot on high for about 20 mins. or your microwave). You can serve the extra sauce on the side (goes especially well with rice recipe included).
- Serve on tortilla with slaw and rice (if making).
For the Slaw
- (To toast the sesame seeds, heat a small pan over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and stir for about 4 mins. until golden brown and aromatic. Remove immediately and set aside.)
- In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Add the sliced onions to the mixture and let sit for about 15 mins. to pickle & sweeten the onions.
- Pour onions & mixture into a medium bowl. Add carrot pieces. Gently stir in your red pepper flakes, cilantro, sesame oil, lime juice, and ginger.
- Reserve toasted sesame seeds until JUST before serving so they retain their crunch. Can be made a few hours ahead of time and kept in the fridge, sans sesame seeds.
- In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute garlic, ginger, and onions for 3-5 minutes or until starting to soften. Add rice, stir to toast the rice for about 2 more minutes. Add the water. Bring the mixture to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in soy sauce and lime juice to taste.
Serves 5-6, Ready in 7-9 hours
Carpe Season crockpotkoreanbeefribtacoswithasianslaw
Wednesday - Chicken Gyro Grilled Cheese
(aka The Gyro Melt)
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices bread
- 8 slices kasseri or mozzarella (or 1/2 cup shredded)
- 1-2 cup chicken souvlaki, warm (recipe below)
- 8 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- 1+ tablespoon red onion, sliced or diced
- 4 tablespoon tzatziki (recipe below)
- 1 roasted red pepper (optional)
- 4 slices tomato
- Side of choice, we had steamed green beans
- Mix all of the ingredients, place them in a sealed container along with the chicken and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Grill meat over medium-high heat until cooked, about 2-4 minutes per side. Or until cooked throughout.
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or strained yogurt
- 1/2 cup cucumber (peeled, seeded, and shredded, squeezed and drained)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or mint (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 splash ouzo (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Mix everything and let chill in the fridge for an hour or more to let the flavours mingle.
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, place one slice in the pan with buttered side down, top with half of the cheese, the chicken souvlaki, feta, red onion, tzatziki, roasted red pepper, tomato, the remaining kasseri and finally the other slice of bread with buttered side up.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with your choice of side.
Note: This meal can be made ahead. Place chicken in dish to marinate in the morning or the night before.
Serves 4 (I adjusted the recipe), Ready in 30 minutes (not including the time for marinating)
Closet Cooking chickengyrogrilledcheese
Thurdsay - Chorizo and Eggs
- Olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onions (green, red, or yellow onions) optional
- 1 lb of Mexican chorizo sausage, removed from sausage casing
- 6-8 eggs
- Handful of shredded Mexican cheese
- 4-6 Tortillas - optional
- Cilantro - optional
- Salsa (jarred or homemade)
- Fruit, as your side
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan. Add the chopped onions (optional) and cook until softened. Once softened, move to the side of the pan and add break up bits of chorizo into the pan. Use a wooden spatula to break up the pieces of sausage. Stir until the sausage is cooked through, though not necessarily browned.
- Crack the eggs one at a time, into the pan. Break the yolks and stir the eggs into the sausage. Add a light sprinkling of salt. Stir constantly until the eggs begin to set, but are still moist. Sprinkle a Mexican blend of cheese on top. Remove from heat and let cheese melt.
- Serve immediately with a side of warmed tortillas, cilantro, and salsa alongside your fruit.
Kids Note: We do not put salsa on the kids chorizo and eggs.
Serves 4 (I adjusted the recipe), Ready in 30 minutes
Simply Recipes chorizoandeggs
Friday - Free for All
Use tonight to get creative with leftovers,
order pizza, have breakfast for dinner, or dine out.
Saturday - Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers
- 6-8 Peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used ground turkey) *you do not need to brown the meat
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1- 28 oz can flavored tomatoes (I used fire roasted, Italian would work. If you don't have flavored, add 1/2 t Italian seasoning)
- 1 t gluten free worcestershire sauce
- 2 T ketchup
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix the ground beef and rice with remaining ingredients (except peppers)
- Wand clean out the peppers. Save the tops.
- Stuff each pepper with a good amount of the ground beef and rice mixture
- Nestle the peppers into your crock and put the little pepper tops back on.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
A Year of Slow Cooking crockpotstuffedpeppers
Sunday - Grilled Salmon w/Avocado Salsa
- 2 lbs salmon, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Avocado salsa
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 3 mild hot peppers, seeded and deveined, diced or sliced
- Juice from 2 limes
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Suggested sides – Rice pilaf
- Mix the salt, coriander, cumin, paprika, onion and black pepper together, rub the salmon fillets with olive oil and this seasoning mix, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Combine the avocado, onion, hot peppers, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and salt in a bowl and mix well, chill until ready to use.
- Grill the salmon to desired doneness.
- Serve the salmon topped with the avocado salsa, and with rice.
Kid Friendly Note: I will make a fruit salsa for the kids instead of the avocado salsa.
Serves 4, Ready in one hour (including marinating time)
Layita's Recipes grilledsalmonwithavocadosalsa
Hope you enjoy and have a SUPER week!!!