Thursday, November 14, 2013

DIY Photo Canvas Tutorial

***This post comes just in time for gift giving season...
this 8x10 photo canvas project only cost $7 each***
 


I have been sprinkling in some quick home projects around all the cooking, cleaning, and organizing.  Look for those home updates in future posts.  This time I decided to finally attempt the craft project that has been on my list for way too long.

When it comes to being crafty I procrastinate.  This project took me awhile to execute because it has to do with photos.  I love photos!!!  We went to Hawaii and I captured some really nice pictures and I wanted to find a fun way to display them.

I have seen many groupons and living social deals for photos on canvas.  I could have just as easily gone that route.  However, I had a unopened bottle of Mod Podge and decided to tune into the crafty side of my OCD.

I am not the most patient person, so crafts are not my strong suit.  However, I think these look fabulous!!!  I am already planning on doing more! 

 
Mod Podge Photo Tutorial


Supplies
  • Pre-stretched canvas (I used 8x10)
  • Paper cutter or scissors
  • Cute paper or ribbon, pre-cut to fit the sides of your canvas
  • Photo's (I used 8x10)
  • Sponge brush
  • Sheet of Wax Paper
  • Mod Podge (matte or glossy)
  • Towel
  • Clear acrylic sealer (I used matte)
  • 3M Velcro strips
Directions
  1. Apply a thin coat of mod podge to your entire canvas, sides included.
  2. While the Mod Podge is drying, cut paper/ribbon into strips to fit the sides. My strips were 1/8 of a inch smaller that my measured sides.
  3. When Mod Podge is dry, you will need to re-paint an additional thin layer on one side of your canvas.
  4. Place your strip of paper along the edge of your canvas. Smooth it over with your fingers several times making sure no bubbles form. Repeat step 3 with all sides.
  5. Place the photo down onto wax paper and apply a good amount of mod podge to the back of your photo. The photo paper is thick enough that it won't pucker or bubble at all.
  6. Turn the photo over and smooth it onto your canvas.  You can cover the image with a soft towel to do the smoothing.  Wait about 20 minutes for Mod Podge to dry.
  7. After the 20 minutes are up, Mod Podge the front of the photo.  It will look milky white, but it dries clear.  This should take about 20 minutes.
  8. Once the front is dry, apply the clear acrylic sealer to the front and sides of the canvas.  Allow to completely dry before hanging.
  9. Use the 3M Velcro strips to hang wherever you need inspiration.
 
 
I seriously had so much fun doing this.  I chose 8x10 photos as a safe start.  I think I will attempt a much larger size next time:) 
 
Thanks to The Sassy Pepper for walking me through this project.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Photo Canvas Collage prints are the ideal way to display lots of your stunning images without buying masses of bulky picture frames or cluttering up the house. With the use of smartphones and readily available digital cameras, we have become a nation of amateur photographers, using Instagram to capture our favourite moments. Out of this we now have some incredible photographs we are sure to treasure forever; the problem is there are just too many of them, making the task almost impossible when
    choosing images to display in our homes

    ReplyDelete